A small gem of a temple well to the north of the “beaten path,” Manshu-in rewards the visitor with a fine garden, brilliant architecture and superb decorations.
Manshu-in © MShades
Perfect for visitors exploring Kyoto by bicycle, Manshu-in Temple is a rarely visited masterpiece of a temple that is well worth the effort to get there. The garden is a wonderful karesansu (dry gravel “Zen”) garden and the fusuma-e (sliding door paintings) were done by the master Kano Eitoku. Manshu-in Temple is easily paired with a visit to nearby Shisen-do Temple.
42 Takenouchi-cho, Ichijo-ji, Sakyo-ku
High school students: \500
Junior high and elementary school students: \300
Non-smoking area: Yes
20min walk from Shugakuin Station, Eizan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Northern Higashiyama, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads