Bishamon-do Temple in Yamashina – image © Damien Douxchamps
The suburb of Yamashina is just on the other side of the Higashiyama Mountains, east of Kyoto. It’s accessible by the JR Line from Kyoto Station and the Tozai subway line from central Kyoto. The garden at Bishamon-do Temple is superb in the Autumn.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads