Gate at Honen-in Temple – image © Damien Douxchamps
Just around the corner from the always-crowded Ginkaku-ji, the small Honen-in Temple is one of the most magical spots in the city. The gate here is framed by some lovely maples, which turn bright red in Autumn.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads