Snow at Shimogamo-jinja Shrine – image © Damien Douxchamps
Shimogamo-jinja Shrine is a great place to pray for a lucky New Year. It’s not as crowded at other popular “hatsumode” spots and there’s a lovely forest in front of the shrine.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)