Perhaps the single most impressive sight in all of Kyoto, bar none, Fushimi-Inari-Taisha Shrine is the most important shrine in the entire city. Don’t miss it!
Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, Kyoto © djjewell
It’s hard to describe Fushimi-Inari-Taisha Shrine as a mere Shinto Shrine. That’s like describing the Notre Dame as a chapel. The faagct is, Fushimi-Inari is an entire world of shrines and shrine gates spread across an entire mountain in Southeast Kyoto. We’re willing to rank this as the single most impressive and important spot in all of Kyoto.
Walking Tour: Fushimi-Inari-Taisha Shrine features in our Private Walking Tour of Tofuku-ji Temple to Fushimi-Inari-Taisha Shrine
68 Yabunouchi-cho, Fukakusa, Fushimi-ku
Dawn to dusk
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Inari Station, JR Nara line
10min walk from Fushimi Inari Station, Keihan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads