Kayabukiya in the Kitayama Mountains of Kyoto – image © Jeffrey Friedl
There are still some old kayabukiya (thatched-roof houses) in the Kitayama Mountains north of Kyoto. The best way to explore this area is with a rental car or good road bicycle.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)