Plum blossoms at Kitano-tenmangu Shrine – image © Jeffrey Friedl
Starting sometime in February, Kyoto’s plum trees burst into bloom, signalling the start of spring. The plum orchard at Kitano-tenmangu Shrine in northwest Kyoto is a good place to enjoy them.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads