Snow at Hosen-in Temple in Ohara – image © Damien Douxchamps
It doesn’t snow that often in Kyoto City itself, but it snows relatively frequently up in the Kitayama Mountains to the north of the city. This shot was taken at Hosen-in Temple in Ohara.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)