Sanzen-in is easily one of the best daytrips out of Kyoto – a superb collection of Buddhist images hidden up in the hills north of the city.
An easy 40-minute bus ride north of Kyoto in the impossibly quaint village of Ohara, Sanzen-in is one of the finest temples in all of Kyoto, especially when one take in its sublime natural setting. Climb past the inevitable souvenir stalls before entering the green sanctuary of the temple precincts. Explore the tree-lined paths before making you way to the Ojo-Gokuraku-In Hall, which contains a mind-blowing figure of Amida, the Buddha of the Western Paradise.
540 Raigoin-cho, Ohara, Sakyo-ku
Junior high school students: \400
Elementary school students: \150
Non-smoking area: Yes
15min walk from Ohara Bus Stop, Kyoto Bus 17 from Kyoto Station
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world