Pond at Saiho-ji, Kyoto’s famed Moss Temple- image © Damien Douxchamps
Saiho-ji Temple, which is also known as Koke-dera (Moss Temple), is justifiably famous: it’s truly beautiful. But, you must apply in advance to visit and then copy Buddhist sutras before entering the garden. It’s worth it if you really love moss, but there are many other fine temple gardens in the city that are easier to visit.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads