Afternoon view of Kyoto from the Shogunzuka viewpoint – image © Jeffrey Friedl
The view over the city from the Shogunzuka viewpoint is one of the best. You can drive up there, or take a bus, but hiking is the best way to go. Check out our Shoguzuka hiking route.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)