Simple, hearty fare for pilgrims to Kurama-dera Mountain Temple, Aburaya Shokudo is an old-school eatery. No pretensions: just filling rice and noodle dishes.
We never grow tired of places like Aburaya Shokudo: simple dining halls that serve wholesome rice and noodle dishes at rock-bottom prices. It’s ideal if you’re visiting Kurama-dera Mountain Temple. The decorations are invariably a few decades old and the kind ladies who run the joint a bit older than that, but that’s what gives this place its heart and soul. Just listening to the ladies chat in their rustic mountain dialects is worth the price of the meal.
252 Honmachi, Kurama, Sakyo-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
2min walk from Kurama Station, Eizan line
Read customer reviews of Aburaya Shokudo on TripAdvisor
Near To Here:
Aburaya Shokudo is located in Kyoto’s Kurama and Kibune district. See our complete list of things to do in Kyoto’s Kurama and Kibune district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth itfor you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world