One of the best ways to explore the Arashiyama area is by renting a boat and rowing around the lovely lower Hozu-gawa area, especially when the cherry blossoms are out.
Kyoto Arashiyama © marufish
If you walk just a few minutes upriver from the Togetsu-kyo Bridge on the north side of the Hozu-gawa River, you’ll come to a shack where they rent simple rowboats. These are a great favorite with the kids and they’re a good way to get away from the crowds that plague Arashiyama during busy periods.
14-4 Arashiyama Nakaoshita-cho, Nishikyo-ku
9am-4:30pm, last application 3:30pm
9am-3:30pm, last application 2:30pm in winter
The time is subject to change depending on the weather.
Closed on December 31st and January 1st
Price: \1400/hour (Maximum 3 people)
Non-smoking area:: Yes
10min walk from Arashiyama Station, Keifuku Arashiyama line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Arashiyama, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads