Biotei is like a good vegetarian restaurant crammed into a dollhouse up a spiral staircase. Sure, it’s cramped: but the food is good.
Right smack in the middle of downtown (catty corner to the main Nakagyo-ku Cental Post Office), up a winding flight of stairs, Biotei is a vegetarian institution in Kyoto. For as long as I’ve lived in the city, my herbivorous friends have been cramming themselves into this joint for nutritious lunch sets and a generally hip atmosphere (note the messages on the walls for all sorts of interesting causes). While you can order a la carte off an English menu, most diners opt for the good value and filling set meals.
For more vegan and vegetarian choices, see our Best Vegan and Vegetarian in Kyoto page.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
2F M&I Building, 28 Umetada-cho, Higashinotouin-nishi-iru, Sanjo-dori, Nakagyo-ku
Closed Sunday, Monday and national holiday
Non-smoking area: Yes
2min walk from Karasuma Oike Station Exit 5, Tozai & Karasuma subway lines
Read customer reviews of Biotei on TripAdvisor
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
[Kyoto Restaurant List]
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)