January 2018: Please note Budget Inn has closed down. Please see Best Kyoto Hotels and Guesthouses for hand-picked places to stay in the same budget category
This excellent budget guesthouse near Kyoto Station is one of the best places to stay for small groups and families.
Only seven minutes’ walk from Kyoto Station, Budget Inn is an inexpensive, family-friendly inn which was built specifically to welcome foreign travelers. It’s got eight well-maintained Japanese-style rooms, each of which has its own en suite bathroom. The rooms can accommodate up to five people, making Budget Inn a great choice for families.
The Japanese owner, a former backpacker and genial fellow who speaks excellent English, and his capable staff, go to great lengths to welcome guests and provide all the information they need to get the most out of their stay in Kyoto. In addition, Budget Inn has all the things you need while on the road: washing machines, free wifi and computer terminals in the lobby. It’s highly recommended.
295 Aburanokoji-cho, Aburanokoji, Shichijo sagaru, Shimogyo-ku
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
7min walk from JR Kyoto Station Karasuma central gate
Website: www.budgetinnjp.com (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)