A superb Hiean-era temple in the southeast suburb of Uji, Byodo-in a brilliant place to visit for those who want to step off the beaten track.
平等院 © m-louis
For a quick preview of the main hall of Byodo-in, have a look at the back of a Y10 coin. This might give you some idea of the beauty of the Phoenix Hall here, but nothing compares to the real thing. And be sure to head inside to see the stunning image of Amida Buddha.
116 Uji Renge, Uji-shi
8.30am-5.30pm, last entry 5.15pm
(During the Phoenix Hall repair period: until March 31, 2014)
High and junior high school students: \200
Elementary school students: \150
Non-smoking area: Yes
10min walk from Uji Station, JR Nara line or Uji Station, Keihan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)