January 2018: Please note Capsule Ryokan Kyoto has closed down. Please see Best Kyoto Hotels and Guesthouses for hand-picked places to stay in the same budget category
A Japanese-style capsule hotel and budget hotel within walking distance of Kyoto Station, Capsule Ryokan Kyoto is a foreigner-friendly hotel with helpful staff.
Capsule hotels are as Japanese as sushi and samurai, but most of them are pretty grim places: utilitarian refuges for drunken salarymen who’ve missed the last train home. But, the proprietor of Capsule Ryokan Kyoto has rebranded and redesigned the classic capsule hotel to appeal to foreign travellers: The capsules are designed with Japanese touches like tatami-mat floors and reed blinds. And, unlike most capsule hotels, this place is aimed at foreign travellers (meaning there are no inebriated salarymen to contend with).
The overall effect of the capsules here is this: The berths on a Japanese-style deep space exploration vehicle. Of course, there’s far more to Capsule Ryokan Kyoto than just capsules. In fact, there is only one floor of capsules: The rest of the floors are occupied by normal twin/double rooms, which are small but well designed and highly functional. And because this place is popular with backpackers, it’s a great place to meet other travelers and share information and the comfortable lobby is a great place to do this.
204 Tsuchihashicho, Shimogyo-ku
:: Check availability and pricing for Capsule Ryokan on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
7min walk from JR Kyoto Station Karasuma central gate
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Station Area Recommendations
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for the Kyoto Station Area, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world