Choice restaurant is a great place to enjoy Japanese-style vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free food. It’s at Sanjo-Keihan, very close to Downtown Kyoto.
Exterior of Choice in Northern Higasgiyama – image © Chris Rowthorn
Opened by a Japanese doctor who is keenly aware of the impact of healthy food on health and happiness, Choice is one of the best places in Kyoto for vegans, vegetarians and gluten-free eaters. With the exception of their pasta dishes, everything on the menu is gluten-free. They use tamari shoyu (gluten-free soy sauce) in their cooking and their soup broth is made without fish flakes, so you can enjoy their delicious cooking without any trepidation.
Interior of Choice in Northern Higasgiyama – image © Chris Rowthorn
Their lunch plates are a great choice, including a burger made with grains and beans that is served with a nice salad, brown rice and Japanese pickles (Y1,100).
Veggie Burger Lunch, Choice, Northern Higashiyama – image © Chris Rowthorn
There’s also a great “fromage salad” topped with cheese made only from nuts (Y1,400) and a salad lunch with rice and soup for Y1,100.
They also serve nice dinners, sweets, coffee and wonderful smoothies. There’s an English menu with pictures and they are quite at home with foreign diners. I highly recommend Choice for a healthy meal in Kyoto!
For more vegan and vegetarian choices, see our Best Vegan and Vegetarian in Kyoto page.
1F Suzuki Keiseigeka Bld., 89-1 Ohashi-cho, Higashiyama-ku
9am-9pm, closed Thursday
Non-smoking area: Yes
1min walk from Sanjo Keihan Station, Tozai subway line
Website: Official website (Japanese)
Read reviews of Choice on TripAdvisor.com
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)