One of Kyoto’s most famous fall foliage spots, Eikan-do Temple is a sprawling complex of gardens and halls that’s worth a visit outside of the fall foliage season.
Eikan-do Temple © KimonBerlin
Eikan-do Temple is known to almost all Japanese as one of the premier spots in Kyoto to admire momiji (the crimson leaves of autumn maple trees). For this reason, the place is usually packed wall to wall with people as soon as the leaves start to turn color. So, we avoid the place like the plague when the foliage is working. But, in other seasons, it can be very quiet and the spacious ground offer plenty of scope for lazy rambling. You can even doff your shoes and climb up to the Taho-to Pagoda, which offers good views across the city.
48 Eikando-cho, Sakyo-ku
9am-5pm, last entry 4pm
High, junior high, and elementary school students: \400
Non-smoking area: Yes
15min walk from Keage Station, Tozai subway line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Northern Higashiyama, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)