A vast downtown sushi specialist, Ganko Sushi is one of the most approachable and reasonably priced sushi places in Kyoto.
There’s nothing subtle about Ganko Sushi: The windows are crammed with gaudy food models and the whole place screams “tourist trap.” And, to tell the truth, the place is pretty full of tourists (but quite a few locals go as well). The thing is: the food here is pretty good. The sushi sets are very reasonably priced, and they’re an easy choice. But you’ll get much better sushi (and pay a bit more) if you order sushi a la carte (piece by piece). I always sushi a la carte here and the bill rarely exceeds Y2500. In addition to sushi, you can choose from a huge variety of Japanese classics, including good value set meals and children’s meals. There are both smoking and non-smoking rooms and this is one of the most child-friendly restaurants in Kyoto – its spacious, noisy and there are special kids’ meals for finicky eaters. Best of all, there’s a full English menu (as well as several other languages). So, if you don’t mind eating with a lot of other tourists, give Ganko a try.
101 Nakajima-cho, Sanjo-dori, Kawaramachi Higashi iru, Nakagyo-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
2min walk from Sanjo Station, Keihan line
Official Website (Japanese)
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Downtown Kyoto, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads