If you’re looking for something to do in the evening that the whole family will enjoy, do not miss this fantastic stage show held in downtown Kyoto.
GEAR cast and stage – image © Kishi Takako, courtesy of GEAR
If you and the kids need a break from temples and high traditional culture, then we strongly recommend checking out the show called GEAR. It’s held almost nightly at a small theatre in the 1928 building in downtown Kyoto. We don’t want to say too much because it would spoil the show. Suffice it to say that it’s one of the most creative and enjoyable stage shows we’ve seen anywhere. And, because it is non-verbal, you don’t need any Japanese ability to enjoy it.
For more details, see our Full Review of GEAR.
GEAR Stage Show
3F 1928 bldg., 56 Benkeiishi-cho, Sanjo-dori-Gokomachi-higashiiru, Nakagyo-ku
60 years old and over: JPY4,300
University students: JPY4,300
Elementary, junior high and high school students: JPY3,300
4-6 years old: JPY800
Non-smoking area: Yes
7 min walk from Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae Station, Tozai subway line
:: Check availability and pricing for hotels near to GEAR on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Official Website (English)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world