Tiny Gio-ji Temple is one of the most scenic spots in Arashiyama. The thatched-roof main hall overlooking a moss-covered grotto is a magical sight.
image © Damien Douxchamps
Most tourists stream right past the entrance to Gio-ji Temple and adjoining Takiguchi-dera Temple, but that’s their loss. Gio-ji Temple, in particular, is one of the finest sights in Arashiyama. The thatched-roof main hall is tiny and there’s little to see inside, but viewed from outside, it’s superb. It presides over a grove of thick moss that just about begs you to lie down for an afternoon nap (keep in mind, of course, that you cannot walk on the moss, let alone lie on it). All in all, this is one of our favourite spots in Arashiyama.
Walking Tour: Gio-ji temple features in our Private Walking Tour of Arashiyama
English address: 32 Kozaka, Saga Toriimoto, Ukyo-ku
Japanese address: 右京区嵯峨鳥居本小坂32
Opening hours: 9:00am-5:00pm, last entry 4:30pm
Admission: \300 (Elementary school students: \100)
Non-smoking area: Yes
10 min from “Sagashakado-mae” bus stop (Kyoto city bus or Kyoto bus)
20 min walk from Saga Arashiyama Station, JR Sagano line
Website: Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Walking Tour: ArashiyamaExplore the stunning Kyoto district of Arashiyama, including the breathtaking Bamboo Grove, on this guided private walk.
(Four hours duration. Price: ¥35,000)
More Details About The Tour
Near To Here:
Gio-ji Temple is located in Kyoto’s Arashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Kyoto’s Arashiyama district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world