A Finnish-themed bar in a former geisha house, Gion Finlandia Bar is a very stylish place for a drink in Gion.
We’re not sure who happened upon the idea of combining Finnish aesthetics with traditional Japanese construction, but it just happens to work. Downstairs, a Finnish vibe predominates, while the upstairs retains some of the features from the house’s geisha past. As you’d expect from a Finnish-themed bar, there’s a good selection of vodka on offer.
Gion-machi minamigawa, Higashiyama-ku
Drink from Y700, cover charge 500 yen (light snack included)
Non-smoking area: No
5min walk from Gion Shijo Station, Keihan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Near To Here:
Gion Finlandia Bar is located in Kyoto’s Southern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Southern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)