A great place to eat near Ginkaku-ji Temple, Goya is an Okinawan-themed restaurant with excellent food, cool music and comfortable seating.
Goya is exactly the kind of restaurant that Kyoto needs more of: Inexpensive hip restaurants totally at home with foreign customers. While the menu is heavy on Okinawan fare (meaning things like Okinawan-style noodles and bitter-gourd stir fries), there are plenty of other things to choose from, many of them more familiar to Western palates, like taco rice and curly fries. With chilled out music, funky art on the walls and low slung couches, this place invites long lazy meals.
114-6 Nishida-cho, Jodo-ji, Sakyo-ku
11:30-4pm & 5:30pm-11pm
Closed Wednesday except for national holidays
Non-smoking area: Yes
3min walk from Ginkakuji-michi Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 5 or 17 from Kyoto Station
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)