Hanamakiya is a brilliant little restaurant that serves handmade soba in pleasant surroundings just a short walk from Kinkaku-ji Temple. It’s the perfect place for lunch after visiting the temple.
Hanamakiya exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
If you’re looking for a tasty Japanese meal in the Kinkaku-ji area, you can’t beat Hanamakiya. It’s a tasteful and relaxing little restaurant that does all the usual soba dishes and wonderful side dishes like tempura. They have an English menu and some of the servers speak English.
Hanamakiya sign – image © Chris Rowthorn
To get there from Kinkaku-ji, walk away from the temple and back toward Nishioji-dori. Cross straight over Nishioji and walk about 20 meters down the narrow road in front of you. It’s on your left with a sign with English writing on the side of it.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
17-2 Kinugasa-goshonouchi-cho, Kita-ku
Price: cheap to moderate
Non-smoking area: completely non-smoking
1min walk from Kinkakuji-michi Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 101 from Kyoto Station
Near To Here:
Hanamakiya is located in Northwest Kyoto. See our complete list of things to do in Northwest Kyoto, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world