Kyoto’s most spectacular cherry blossom spot is little-known Haradani-en Garden. Located in northwest Kyoto, it’s a must-see for serious cherry blossom fans.
Haradani-en in full bloom – image © Chris Rowthorn
Few tourists have ever heard of Haradani-en – it’s a secret cherry blossom spot known only to the locals. While it’s a lovely garden and pleasant to visit at any time of year, it’s truly superb in cherry blossom season. While a regular Kyoto bus runs from Kitaoji Station (on the Karasuma subway line), it’s better to take the free shuttle bus that runs from in front of Shikichi-jinja Shrine (known to locals as “Wara-tenjin”). Wara-tenjin is on Nishioji-dori, about 10 minutes’ walk south of Kinkaku-ji Temple. The free shuttle runs frequently in both directions during cherry blossom season (late March to early April).
Lost in blossoms at Haradani-en – image © Chris Rowthorn
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
36 Okitayama-Haradaniinui-cho, Kita-ku
Y300-1500 (depends on the condition of cherry blossoms)
Non-smoking area: Yes
2min walk from Haradani Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus M1 from Kitaoji Station
This bus is full during the cherry blossom season. Please go by taxi.
:: Check availability and pricing for hotels near to Haradani-en on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Official Website (Japanese)
Near To Here:
Haradani-en Garden is located in Northwest Kyoto. See our complete list of things to do in Northwest Kyoto, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world