Hiyoshido offers traditional Japanese and other forms of massage in a beautiful old Japanese house in Gion. It’s the perfect way to relax after a day of touring Kyoto.
Outside of Hiyoshido Traditional Massage in Southern Higashiyama – image © Hiyoshido
There are plenty of massage places in Kyoto, but most of them are located in modern buildings and offer various some version of Thai massage. Hiyoshido is one of the few places in Kyoto where you can enjoy a real Japanese massage in traditional Japanese surroundings. The offerings include shiatsu, anma, stretching and other forms of massage.
Massages are delivered in private, soothing tatami rooms on tatami mats. They’re so comfortable and quiet that you are very likely to go to sleep. The staff and therapists speak enough English so that communication is not difficult.
This is highly recommended after a long flight or a long day of temple hopping!
Inside of Hiyoshido Traditional Massage in Southern Higashiyama – image © Hiyoshido
347 Gion Kitagawa, Higashiyama-ku
Hiyoshido’s website includes the following helpful text:
If you lost the way to our shop, find and go to GION KAGETSU or the traffic light that is first corner from Shijo street to Hanamikoji. (There is a Lawson convenience store on that corner) and please call us. We will pick you up in sunny day with a chochin and in rainy day with an umbrella.
How to tell to the taxi driver.“Go Shijo-Hanami-koji then turn to north, and go straight to the first traffic light. There’s Lawson convenience store, so please stop there.”
Here are the taxi directions in Japanese (show this to the driver):
Y5000 for 1 hour massage
Y7500 for 1.5hour massage
About 10 minute walk from Gion-Shijo Station on the Keihan Main Line
Hiyoshido Traditional Massage
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
Hiyoshido Traditional Massage is located in Kyoto’s Southern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Southern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)