Located in an atmospheric old wooden building, Honke Owariya is arguably the best soba restaurant in all of Kyoto.
Honke Owariya is an extremely atmospheric place to enjoy a bowl of soba (buckwheat noodles). The restaurant is extremely popular with locals, so arrive early or be prepared to wait. Dishes here range from plain bowls of noodles to full sets with all the trimmings. Most of the seating is on tatami mat floors around low tables, so if you’ve got knee problems might want to look elsewhere for your soba fix.
Kurumayacho-dori, Nijo kudaru, Nakagyo-ku
Closed on January 1st and 2nd
Non-smoking area: Yes
2min walk from Karasuma Oike Station, Karasuma & Tozai subway line
Official Website (English)
Read customer reviews of Owariya on TripAdvisor
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Downtown Kyoto, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)