A serene riverside refuge accessible by boat upstream from Arashiyama, Hoshinoya Kyoto is arguably Kyoto’s most interesting place to stay.
Your taxi will take you to a small waiting area, where you’ll be met by a concierge who will summon a boat to take you up the Hozu-gawa to the lovely Hoshinoya Kyoto, perhaps Kyoto’s most interesting accommodation. We’re not sure whether to call this a ryokan, a hotel, a vacation rental or something else, but we have no trouble describing it as unique, luxurious and a one-of-a-kind experience. Just note that during periods of flooding, you’ll have to travel to and from the Hoshinoya by van.
11-2 Arashiyama Genrokuzan-cho, Nishikyo-ku
Internet: wifi access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
10min walk from Arashiyama Station, Hankyu line
050-3786-0066 (for reservation, 8am-9pm)
:: Official Website (English)
:: Read Guest Reviews of Hoshinoya at TripAdvisor
You can also book any of the following high end ryokan immediately online with Agoda – each of these ryokan are of a similar class and experience to Hoshinoya.
Seikoro | Yoshida Sanso | Yuzuya Ryokan
Other Arashiyama Hotels:
:: See more Arashiyama hotels on Booking.com and Agoda.com
More Kyoto Ryokan Suggestions: see all Kyoto Ryokan we recommend.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world