This good-value hotel on Oike-dori offers comfortable rooms and a location only steps away from one of the city’s main subway stations.
The Gimmond has been around for years, but it’s been renovated fairly recently and it’s a good value. It’s on Oike-dori, which puts it on the north end of Downtown Kyoto. It’s a very short walk from here to the Karasuma-Oike subway station, which is where the Tozai and the Karasuma lines meet, making it a very good choice for those who want easy access to transport. You could also walk from here to places like Nishiki Market, the Gosho and Nijo-jo Castle. There’s an on-site restaurant for that all-important breakfast and the staff is generally helpful.
Name in English: Hotel Gimmond Kyoto
Name in Japanese: ホテルギンモンド京都
English address: 595 Kikkoya-cho, Takakura-nishi-iru, Oike-dori, Nakagyo-ku
Japanese address: 中京区御池通高倉西入ル亀甲屋町595
Internet: free wifi access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
Nearest Transport: 6min walk from Karasuma Oike Station Exit 3-1, Tozai & Karasuma subway lines
Official site (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
More Kyoto Hotels info:
- Kyoto Hotels Overview
- Check availability and pricing for Kyoto hotels at Agoda.com
- The Best Places To Stay In Kyoto
- Where To Stay In Kyoto
- Best Value Hotels In Kyoto
- Kyoto Vacation Rentals
- Best Luxury Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Boutique Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Mid-Range Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Kyoto Hostels and Guesthouses
- Best Kyoto Hotels For Families
- Best Ryokan In Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)