Opened in 2017, the Celestine Kyoto Gion is a brilliant new hotel in a fantastic Gion/Southern Higashiyama location.
Located at the southern end of Kennin-ji Temple, within walking distance of Gion, Downtown Kyoto, and the sights of Southern Higashiyama, the Celestine Kyoto Gion is a brilliant addition to the Kyoto accommodation scene.
The rooms are spacious, at least by Japanese standards, and especially for this price range. The décor, both in rooms and common areas, has some nice Japanese touches.
There’s a good on-site restaurant, which has a menu that lists allergy information. And, best of all, there’s a great sento (gender-segregated public bath), in addition to, of course, en suite baths in every guest room.
With prices on the border between moderate and expensive, the Celestine is a GREAT value. It’s highly recommended.
Hotel The Celestine Kyoto Gion
ホテル ザ セレスティン京都祇園
572 Komatsu-cho, Yasaka-dori Higashioji-nishiiru, Higashiyama-ku
Moderate to Expensive
:: Check availability and pricing for Hotel the Celestine Kyoto Gion on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Internet: wifi access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
10-minute walk from Gion Shijo Station Exit 1, Keihan line
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world