If you’re looking for information on visiting Osaka, see our sister site InsideOsaka.com for a comprehensive travel guide to the city – what to eat, what to see and do, where to stay and how to get there.
Osaka Castle in spring
Make the most of your time in Osaka with my carefully planned itineraries for trips from 1 to 5 days.
Here is our list of the best restaurants in Osaka, divided by type of cuisine, with location and price range too.
Osaka has great hotels in all budget classes. Here are the best Osaka hotels in each budget class, all personally inspected.
Osaka has few true ryokan (traditional Japanese inns), so here are our Kyoto and Nara picks.
See also our Japan itineraries that feature Osaka:
Osaka – Kyoto 1-Week Itinerary
If you’ve got one week in Japan and don’t want to travel much, an Osaka-Kyoto itinerary is a great way to see both modern and traditional Japan. Here’s how to do it.
Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo 10-Day Itinerary
Ten days is the perfect amount of time to spend in Japan. Here’s a great Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka itinerary that will allow you to see the best places efficiently and easily.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)