Ippodo is the best place in Kyoto to buy green tea, including both leaf tea and powdered tea (matcha). The store is incredibly atmospheric and samples are available.
Kyoto is the home of most of Japan’s tea ceremony schools and many of the practitioners of the art purchase their tea here. It’s easy to understand why: there’s a huge selection of green teas on offer and the staff is highly knowledgeable about their offerings. You can buy attractive gift sets here that include an assortment of everyday drinking teas and luxury special-occasion teas.
If you can’t decide, there’s usually someone on hand who can speak enough English to give you some suggestions. There’s also a fine little café on the premises where you can drink some of the teas on sale here. All in all, this is one of our favorite places in Kyoto to buy souvenirs for the folks back home.
52 Tokiwagi-cho, Teramachi-dori, Nijo agaru, Nakagyo-ku
9am-7pm Monday-Saturday, to 6pm Sunday & holidays
Closed new year holidays
Green tea leaf from \600 (100g)
10min walk from Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae Station, Tozai subway line
Official Website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
Ippodo is located in Kyoto’s Downtown district. See our complete list of things to do in Downtown Kyoto, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world