Ippudo Ramen is our favorite ramen joint in all of Kyoto. The soup and noodles are sublime and the accompanying dumplings crispy and delicious.
Ippudo Ramen got its start in Fukuoka, Kyushu, in 1995 and quickly spread not only across Japan but also to such countries as the United States, the UK and Singapore. One bite of the noodles and a slurp of the soup and you’ll understand why the chain has enjoyed such rapid success: the noodles have just the right degree of texture and the thick soup is rich and satisfying. Order a plate of gyoza (dumplings) to go with your ramen and you’ve got the makings of a real feast.
653-1 Bantoya-cho, Higashinotoin, Nishikikoji higashi iru, Nakagyo-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
1min walk from Shijo Station, Karasuma subway line or Karasuma Station, Hankyu line
Official Website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Ippudo on TripAdvisor
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Downtown Kyoto, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads