If you’re a fan of Japanese designer Issey Miyake, you must visit the new Issey Miyake store in downtown Kyoto. It’s in a superb old Kyoto machiya.
Issey Miyake exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
The store has a small but vibrant collection of Miyake items like bags, watches and clothes.
Issey Miyake interior – image © Chris Rowthorn
In addition to the main building, there’s a fine kura (storehouse) out back where they host a variety of shows and collections.
Issey Miyake gallery – image © Florentyna Leow
Name in English:
Issey Miyake Kyoto
Name in Japanese:
イッセイ ミヤケ 京都
89 Tsuchiya-cho, Yanaginobanba-dori-Sanjo-sagaru, Nakagyo-ku
Price: varies by item
7min walk from Karasuma Oike Station Exit 5, Karasuma and Tozai subway lines
Official Website (English)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world