The Japan Rail Pass can be purchased at major train stations and airports inside Japan. At present, this is just a temporary policy, but it looks like it will be made permanent soon. We will let you know if the situation changes.
Japan Rail Pass © antoniotajuelo
Until recently, it was necessary to buy your Japan Rail Pass outside of Japan (actually, you purchase an “exchange order” which you turn into an actual rail pass after arriving in Japan). Also note that the passes sold in Japan are slightly more expensive than the ones sold overseas (otherwise, they are identical in every respect).
Where to Buy A Japan Rail Pass Inside Japan
The passes are being sold at the main ticket offices at the following JR Stations in Japan: Sapporo, Sendai, Niigata, Tokyo Station, Shinjuku, Yokohama, Nagoya, Osaka, Hiroshima, Takamatsu, Hakata, New-Chitose Airport, Narita Airport Terminal 1, Narita Airport Terminal 2-3, Haneda Airport International Terminal, and Kansai Airport
How Much Does A Japan Rail Pass Cost?
The passes sold inside Japan cost slightly more than those sold outside Japan. Here are the prices:
For general details on the Japan Rail Pass, visit our Japan Rail Pass: Is It Worth It? page.
For information about getting the most value from a pass, visit our Japan Rail Pass: Make the Most of It page.
If you prefer to purchase your Japan Rail Pass before you arrive in Japan, you can buy the Japan Rail Pass online at an official partner of JR Rail.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)