Kagizen Yoshifusa is a traditional sweet shop in the heart of Gion with a serene tea room where you can enjoy traditional sweets with cups of thick matcha tea.
Sure, there’s a Starbucks in Gion. We assume you know what the coffee tastes like there: it’s good and it’s convenient. But did you come all the way to Kyoto just to try yet another frappucino? Just across the road from this worldwide chain, you’ll find one of Kyoto’s oldest and most esteemed tea and sweet shops.
In the front room, you can see the artistic creations on display, but discerning Kyotoites quickly make for the serene tea room in back, where they can enjoy some of the shops famed sweets accompanied by a thick cup of perfectly whisked matcha tea. All in all, it’s our favorite place for a pick-me-up in Gion.
For more Kyoto Japanese Tea and sweet shop choices, see our Best Japanese Tea and Sweet Shops in Kyoto page.
264 Gion machi Kita gawa, Higashiyama-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Gion Shijo Station, Keihan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Kagizen Yoshifusa on TripAdvisor
Near To Here:
Kagizen Yoshifusa is located in Kyoto’s Southern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Southern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world