For a filling noodle or rice lunch after exploring Fushimi-Inari-Taisha, we recommend Kendonya. It’s a friendly restaurant a short walk from the shrine that serves filling udon and rice meals at a reasonable price.
Kendonya exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
What could be better than a steaming bowl of udon or a lovely donburi (rice bowl topped with meat or vegetables) after a few hours of hiking around Fushimi-Inari-Taisha Shrine? This popular restaurant serves all the classic udon and rice dishes in a casual atmosphere. You can fill up for around Y1,000 here and there’s an English/picture menu to make ordering a snap.
Kendonya menu – image © Chris Rowthorn
To get to Kendonya from the shrine, walk down hill, away from the shrine, past the Keihan Station. You will soon get to a major road called Shidan-kaido. At that point, you will see Kendonya on the opposite side of the road.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
41 Fukakusa-ichinotsubo-cho, Fushimi-ku
Price: cheap to moderate
Non-smoking area: completely non-smoking
2min walk from Fushimi Inari Station, Keihan line
5min walk from Inari Station, JR Nara line
Official site (English)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world