October 2022: Please note Kinugasa Zen has now permanently closed. Please see our Northwest Kyoto page for other places to eat in the area.
For tasty tempura and noodle dishes near Kinkaku-ji Temple, take the short walk south to Kinugasa Zen.
Kinugasa Zen exterior – image © Chris Rowthorn
If you’re hungry after checking out the golden splendor of Kinkaku-ji and you want to eat before getting on the bus back downtown, we highly recommend Kinugasa Zen. It’s a popular, casual restaurant that serves some seriously tasty soba, udon and tempura dishes, either a la carte or as part of reasonably priced set meals. There’s an English menu with pictures to help with order.
Kinugasa Zen menu – image © Chris Rowthorn
To get there from the temple, walk back out to the main street (Nishioji-dori), cross the street and take a right and walk south down the opposite side of Nishioji. It will be on your right after about 100 meters.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
5 Kinugasa-gaido-cho, Kita-ku
Closed Tuesday and 2nd Monday
Price: cheap to moderate
Non-smoking area: completely non-smoking
3min walk from Kinkakuji-michi Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 101 from Kyoto Station
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth itfor you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world