Often overlooked by tourists, Kodai-ji Temple is one of the finest temples in the Southern Higashiyama Area.
Kodai-ji Temple Complex © hslo
With a garden designed by Japan’s most famous garden designers (Kobori Enshu) and a tea house designed by the founder of the tea ceremony (Sen no Rikyu), Kodai-ji Temple represents the confluence of some of Japan’s greatest artistic and cultural traditions.
While some traditionalists cry foul, we can’t help but love the nighttime illuminations that are held at the temple in the spring and fall. Walking through the bamboo grove here with each stalk bathed in a ghostly light is something straight out of Narnia. Don’t miss it!
526 Shimokawara-cho, Kodai-ji, Higashiyama-ku
9am-5:30pm, last entry 5:00pm
Adults: \600 (Including Sho Museum)
High and junior high school students: \250
Discount ticket for 3 places (Kodai-ji, Sho Museum, and Entoku-in Temple): \900
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Higashiyama Yasui Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 206 from Kyoto Station
Official Website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Southern Higashiyama, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)