If you’re looking for a great playground that will keep both young and old kids occupied for hours, then head north to Kyoto’s brilliant Kodomo-no-Rakuen Playground.
Located on the east side of Takara-ga-Ike Park in northeast Kyoto, this playground is well worth the bus or taxi journey out of central Kyoto. It’s one of the best playgrounds we’ve seen anywhere and our kids love the place. Best of all – it’s free! You just have to get there.
There are all kinds of fantastic things for kids here, including a small “mountain” with slides down each side, a great maze, a huge rope climbing “tree,” wading pools, swings, monkey bars, small climbing walls and much more. There are also picnic areas, vending machines and wide, open grassy areas for all kinds of other play. All in all, it’s one of the best family-friendly attractions in the city.
8 Kamitakano-nagareda-cho, Sakyo-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
5 min walk from Takaragaike Station, Eizan line
15 min walk from Kokusaikaikan Station Exit 5, Karasuma subway line
:: Check availability and pricing for hotels near to Kodomo-no-Rakuen Playground on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Official Website (Japanese)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world