Konchi-in Temple is one of the finer small temples in the Northern Higashiyama Sightseeing district. The garden alone is worth the price of admission.
Konchi-in Temple: shikema / Shutterstock.com
Located down a narrow lane about 40 meters before the main entrance to Nanzen-ji Temple, Konchi-in Temple is one of our favorite temples in this part of town. The hoi polloi usually rush right past it, intent on getting to the much more famous Nanzen-ji, and that suits us just fine. It’s got a superb karesensui (dry gravel “Zen”) garden that is the best example of shakkei (borrowed scenery) in the city – while the hills that form the backdrop to the garden lie well outside the temple’s walls, they appear to flow seamlessly from the bushes that form the backdrop to the grave garden.
86-12 Fukuchi-cho, Nanzen-ji, Sakyo-ku
High school students: \300
Junior high and elementary school students: \200
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Keage Station, Tozai subway line
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
Konchi-in Temple is located in Kyoto’s Northern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Northern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)