A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Kosan-ji Temple is the least appealing of the three main temples in Takao, but it’s still worth a visit for the huge cedars that line the approach.
image © Damien Douxchamps
Call us churlish, but we fail to see why this temple gets listed by UNESCO, when nearby Jingo-ji Temple and Saimyo-ji Temple get overlooked. Perhaps its because of the significant artworks on display in the main hall. It’s a bit of a hike from the other two Takao temples, so only go if you have the time.
8 Toganoo-cho, Umegahata, Ukyo-ku
\500 during autumn foliage season
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Togano-o Bus Stop, JR bus Takao Keihoku line from Kyoto Station
Near To Here:
Kozan-ji Temple is located in Kyoto’s Ohara district. See our complete list of things to do in Kyoto’s Ohara district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world