A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Kosan-ji Temple is the least appealing of the three main temples in Takao, but it’s still worth a visit for the huge cedars that line the approach.
image © Damien Douxchamps
Call us churlish, but we fail to see why this temple gets listed by UNESCO, when nearby Jingo-ji Temple and Saimyo-ji Temple get overlooked. Perhaps its because of the significant artworks on display in the main hall. It’s a bit of a hike from the other two Takao temples, so only go if you have the time.
8 Toganoo-cho, Umegahata, Ukyo-ku
\500 during autumn foliage season
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Togano-o Bus Stop, JR bus Takao Keihoku line from Kyoto Station
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)