For refined yakitori in traditional surroundings, Kushikura is a sure bet. Because they can do shio-yaki (salt-grilled) chicken, it’s a good choice gluten-free diners.
Kushikura interior – image © Chris Rowthorn
Located in a fine traditional machiya building on the north edge of downtown, Kushikura serves some fantastic yakitori (the “kushi” in the name refers to the skewers on which the yakitori is cooked) both as part of filling set meals and a la carte.
There are several nice private rooms for families and groups, as well as a great counter where you can watch the chefs at work.
They’re quite used to foreign diners here and they have an English/picture menu. We recommend reservations for dinner.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
584 Hiiragi-cho, Takakura-dori-Oike-agaru, Nakagyo-ku
Non-smoking area: completely non-smoking
4min walk from Karasuma Oike Station Exit 1, Karasuma and Tozai subway lines
Official site (English)
Near To Here:
Kushikura is located in Kyoto’s Downtown district. See our complete list of things to do in Downtown Kyoto, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world