If you’re looking for a stylish hotel right in the heart of the Gion entertainment district, at a reasonable price, you should take a close look at the Kyoto Granbell Hotel.
There aren’t many hotels located in Gion but this new hotel is one of them. Like its sisters in Tokyo, the Granbell is sleek and stylish, with some nice Japanese touches. The rooms are on the small side, which is typical for mid-range Japanese hotels.
There’s a nice restaurant and bar and you can relax in the onsen-style bath after a day of sightseeing.
So, if location and price are important to you, have a close look at the Kyoto Granbell.
Name in English:
Kyoto Granbell Hotel
Name in Japanese:
27 Yamato-cho, Yamatooji-dori-Shijo-sagaru, Higashiyama-ku
Internet: free wifi access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
2min walk from Gion-shijo Station Exit 6, Keihan line
Official site: (English)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)