The Kyoto Minami Kaikan Cinema is one of the few arthouse cinemas in Kyoto. It’s a bit inconveniently located, on the south side of Kyoto Station, but it’s worth the trip to catch an independent film on the big screen.
Kyoto Minami Kaikan: Wikimedia
If you’re a fan of cinema but can’t stand the sort of stuff that Hollywood churns out, you should check out the Minami Kaikan Cinema website (see below). It’s in Japanese, but using the pictures and your browser’s translation feature, you should be able to see what’s showing. Just keep in mind that Japanese films will not be dubbed or subtitled, and that non-Japanese films will only be subtitled in Japanese. That’s fine if the film is in English or in another language you understand, but not much fun if it’s in a language you don’t understand.
Kyoto Minami Kaikan Cinema
110 Nishikujo-kawarajo-cho, Minami-ku
10am-10pm (depends on the film)
60 years old and over: JPY1,100
Persons with disabilities: JPY1,000
Non-smoking area: Yes
2 min walk from Toji Station, Kintetsu line
:: Check availability and pricing for hotels near to Minami Kaikan on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Official Website (Japanese)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world