If you’re looking for a light meal or some sandwiches and pastries for a picnic in Arashiyama, this cool little French-inspired bakery/restaurant near JR Saga-Arashiyama is a great choice.
Bouchon Tournesol is a bright, airy place run by a chef who trained in New York. It’s a bakery-restaurant, so you can grab some good bread, sandwiches and pastries to carry with you into Arashiyama, or, if you’re there at lunch or dinnertime, you can sit down for a light and healthy meal including such things as salad, bread, fish, coffee and dessert.
Vegetarians will like their sautéed vegetable sandwiches and their salad lunch and dinner. Carnivores will enjoy their steak frites lunch and dinner. And, no matter what your dietary preferences, you’re sure to like their pastries, including such things as matcha squares and seasonal sorbets. All in all, it’s highly recommended for light meal in Arashiyama, especially if you need a break from rice and noodles.
Bouchon Tournesol is very close to JR Saga-Arashiyama Station, which is on the JR San-in Main Line, the JR line that brings you to Arashiyama. If you walk north out of the station and walk about 100 meters, you’ll find Bouchon Tournesol on the corner.
17 Setogawa-cho, Sagatenryuji, Ukyo-ku
右京区 嵯峨天龍寺瀬戸川町 17
8:00am～9:30am, 11:30am～14:30pm, 15:00pm～21:00pm
closed Tuesdays and fourth Monday of every month
Price: budget to moderate
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Saga-Arashiyama Station on the JR San-in Main Line
Website: Official website (Japanese and English)
Read reviews of Bouchon Tournesol on TripAdvisor.com
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads