Few theatrical spectacles are as visually stimulating and just plain bizarre as kabuki, and Kyoto’s Minamiza Kabuki Theatre is the best place in Japan to see kabuki.
Theater Minamiza © matsuyuki
Located in a grand building on the corner of Shijo-dori and Kawabata-dori in Gion, Minamiza is Kyoto’s premier kabuki theatre. If there’s a show on while you’re in town, we highly recommend that you see at least a few acts (performances usually go on for hours, with plentiful intermissions). You can get audio descriptions of the dialogue, but – frankly – why bother? We find that not understanding the otherworldly vocalizations of the performers adds immeasurably to the bizarreness of the entire spectacle. See our in-depth explanation of attending a kabuki performance at Minamiza.
198 Nakano-cho, Shijo-dori, Yamato-oji nishiiru, Higashiyama-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
1min walk from Gion Shijo Station, Keihan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on CheapOAir.com
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads