Few theatrical spectacles are as visually stimulating and just plain bizarre as kabuki, and Kyoto’s Minamiza Kabuki Theatre is the best place in Japan to see kabuki.
Kabuki theatre Minamiza: TK Kurikawa / Shutterstock.com
Located in a grand building on the corner of Shijo-dori and Kawabata-dori in Gion, Minamiza is Kyoto’s premier kabuki theatre. If there’s a show on while you’re in town, we highly recommend that you see at least a few acts (performances usually go on for hours, with plentiful intermissions). You can get audio descriptions of the dialogue, but – frankly – why bother? We find that not understanding the otherworldly vocalizations of the performers adds immeasurably to the bizarreness of the entire spectacle. See our in-depth explanation of attending a kabuki performance at Minamiza.
198 Nakano-cho, Shijo-dori, Yamato-oji nishiiru, Higashiyama-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
1min walk from Gion Shijo Station, Keihan line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
Minamiza Kabuki Theatre is located in Kyoto’s Southern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Southern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)