For some good sukiyaki, try this reliable old specialist in the Teramachi Shopping Arcade.
Right at the corner of Sanjo and Teramachi streets, inside the Sanjo Shopping Arcade, this venerable old sukiyaki shop is a good place to try that most famous of all Japanese beef dishes: sukiyaki. The downstairs is a butcher, so it’s hard to miss. They give a small discount for foreign guests, so what’s not to like about that?
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
405 Sakurano-cho, Sanjo-sagaru, Teramachi-dori, Nakagyo-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae Station, Tozai subway line or Sanjo Station, Keihan line
Official site (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Mishima Tei on TripAdvisor
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
[Kyoto Restaurant List]
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)