For excellent soba and udon in superb traditional Kyoto surroundings, check out this longstanding Kyoto classic. It’s located right downtown.
Misoka-an Kawamichi-ya – image © Chris Rowthorn
Within easy walking distance of most parts of downtown, Kawamichi-ya is a great place for a light noodle lunch in Kyoto. Really, half the reason to visit is just to enjoy the restful Japanese surroundings – which call to mind a great ryokan. But, the food is also excellent and there’s an English menu to help you choose. Expect to pay around Y1500 for a filling meal.
For more Kyoto soba and udon choices, see our Best Soba and Udon in Kyoto page.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
295 Shimohakusan-cho, Fuyacho-dori-Sanjo-agaru, Nakagyo-ku
Budget to Moderate
Non-smoking area: Yes
6min walk from Kyoto Shiyakusho-mae Station, Tozai subway line
Official site (English)
More Restaurant Suggestions: See my list of Kyoto’s Best Restaurants for more eating inspiration. The list covers all cuisines and price ranges.
Near To Here:
Misoka-an Kawamichi-ya is located in Kyoto’s Downtown district. See our complete list of things to do in Downtown Kyoto, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world